Ср. Май 20th, 2026

DFB Imposes Severe Penalties on Dynamo Dresden and Hertha BSC After Scandalous Match

More than six weeks after the scandalous riots during the second division match between Dynamo Dresden and Hertha BSC, the German Football Association (DFB) has imposed harsh sanctions on both clubs.

Host club Dynamo Dresden has been fined €91,200 by the DFB Sports Court and will face a partial spectator exclusion for two home games. Hertha BSC is to pay €152,000. The DFB announced this on Wednesday, and Dresden immediately announced an appeal.

«I can hardly recall a case where pyrotechnics were used as a weapon against people on such a scale,» said Stephan Oberholz, Chairman of the DFB Sports Court. «This is intolerable; there can be no excuse, no apology, and no leniency for it. Since this is not a standard case, the sanction must also deviate from the standard.»

The partial spectator exclusion will apply to the K-blocks at the Rudolf-Harbig-Stadion, affecting all 9,000 standing places for home fans. One of the two home game bans is suspended, with the probationary period lasting until June 30, 2027, thus covering the upcoming season.

Serious Riots During League Match Between Dresden and Hertha

«Since the current verdict is based solely on a single judge’s decision in a written procedure, we will file an appeal to be heard in an oral hearing before the full Sports Court,» stated Dynamo Managing Director Stephan Zimmermann. «Especially with regard to a partial spectator exclusion as a collective punishment, we see an urgent need to present our arguments and preventive measures in person.»

As an additional measure, the Sports Court is ordering both clubs to issue only half of the ticket contingent for the away section for their next two direct encounters. These tickets must also be personalized.

On Easter Saturday, the incidents caused nationwide outcry, with fans from both sides participating in severe riots. Supporters overcame barriers, leading to confrontations in the stadium with pyrotechnics and flares. At least 17 people were injured, according to the DFB.

Dynamo had already announced «infrastructural changes» for its home games in April. Various measures are intended to include structural modifications and a revised security concept, among other things.

Good six weeks after the scandalous riots during the second-division match between Dynamo Dresden and Hertha BSC, the German Football Association (DFB) has imposed harsh sanctions on both clubs.

Host club Dynamo has been fined €91,200 by the DFB Sports Court and will face a partial spectator exclusion for two home games. Hertha BSC is to pay €152,000. The DFB announced this on Wednesday, and Dresden immediately announced an appeal.

«I can hardly recall a case where pyrotechnics were used as a weapon against people on such a scale,» said Stephan Oberholz, Chairman of the DFB Sports Court. «This is intolerable; there can be no excuse, no apology, and no leniency for it. Since this is not a standard case, the sanction must also deviate from the standard.»

The partial spectator exclusion will apply to the K-blocks at the Rudolf-Harbig-Stadion, affecting all 9,000 standing places for home fans. One of the two home game bans is suspended, with the probationary period lasting until June 30, 2027, thus covering the upcoming season.

Serious Riots During League Match Between Dresden and Hertha

«Since the current verdict is based solely on a single judge’s decision in a written procedure, we will file an appeal to be heard in an oral hearing before the full Sports Court,» stated Dynamo Managing Director Stephan Zimmermann. «Especially with regard to a partial spectator exclusion as a collective punishment, we see an urgent need to present our arguments and preventive measures in person.»

As an additional measure, the Sports Court is ordering both clubs to issue only half of the ticket contingent for the away section for their next two direct encounters. These tickets must also be personalized.

On Easter Saturday, the incidents caused nationwide outcry, with fans from both sides participating in severe riots. Supporters overcame barriers, leading to confrontations in the stadium with pyrotechnics and flares. At least 17 people were injured, according to the DFB.

Dynamo had already announced «infrastructural changes» for its home games in April. Various measures are intended to include structural modifications and a revised security concept, among other things.

By Callum Henshaw

Callum Henshaw, based in Bristol, England, is a sports journalist hooked on Juventus. From match breakdowns to transfer buzz, he delivers sharp, fan-focused takes on the Bianconeri.

Related Post